Eva Claiborne's Hen & Dressing
- 7 or 8 Hen (boiled with 1 onion and 2 ribs of celery and salt) - save broth
- 2 (9 inch) skillet corn bread (cooked until just barely done, but not too brown!)
- 1 batch of homemade biscuits (the Bisquik drop recipe is fine - also not too done!)
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups diced raw celery
- 2 large raw chopped onions
- 1 - 2 Tbl sage (or to taste)
- 1 - 2 Tbl poultry seasoning (or to taste)
- Lawry's Seasoning Salt to taste
- Dash of ground red pepper (optional)
- 9 raw whole eggs
- Broth from hen - keep hot or reheat (add canned broth and butter if necessary)
- Crumble bread and biscuits; add celery, onion and seasonings. Add raw eggs, mix well. Hdd HOT broth to make VERY THIN. Add a few cups and stir..and and stir..etc.
- Now, be very thin, we're talking about soupy oatmeal. More than likely, you will think, "oh no, I've put in too much now...add one more cup and that will be about right? The dressing will soak up a lot of broth, so you might even need to add another cup or tow after the first time you stir. Mix well.
- Bake at 350 degrees in a greased deep baking pan for 1 hour or more. These days, we use a big disposable roasting pan on a cookie sheet (for stability).
- Important: Stir dressing every 10-15 minutes so it won't form a crust. During the last 20 minutes, fold in 1 cup of the cup up chicken & Serve with giblet gravy