Favorite Coffee Cake
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. (cold) margarine
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour round layer pan.
- Measure all cake ingredients into large bowl (except topping)
- Beat with hand mixer on medium speed for 1 minute, scraping sides and bottom of bowl occasionally.
- Spread into pan.
- Combine topping ingredients; cut in margarine with pastry blender until crumbly.
- Sprinkle topping over batter.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into middle of bread comes out clean.
- Serve warm if time allows. If not, remove from oven, cool, and cover with plastic wrap. Warm cake if desired.