Festive Summer Chili
- Cooking Time: 60 min
- Preparation Time: 40 min
- 1 cup of beans (Jacob’s cattle, red kidney or black beans for instance)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2-4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 zucchinis, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 10-16 large tomatoes (or 2 cans of diced peeled tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup mexican chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1. (You can skip this step if using canned beans)
- Soak your beans for beans for 4 hours in cold water.
- Rinse your beans, change the water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce Heat, simmer and cook for 30-40 min, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion, and season with bay leaves, cumin, oregano, and salt.
- Cook and stir until onion is tender, then mix in the celery, carrots, zucchinis, green bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, garlic, and green chile peppers.
- Add the beans.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Mix the tomatoes into the pot.
- Season chili with chili powder and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 45 minutes.