Fish Tacos with Green Chile Cream
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons hot picante sauce (I use Pace)
- 4 (4 oz) tilapia fillets
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed per directions
- 2 cups shredded cabbage (may use packaged coleslaw mix)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 2 cups shredded Colby/Jack cheese
- In small bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, green chiles, chili powder and picante sauce. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In shallow bowl, combine the beaten egg with salt and pepper. Place the panko bread crumbs in another shallow bowl. Dredge each fish fillet first in the egg mixture and then in the panko bread crumbs, making sure to coat each side completely.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in large skillet over medium high heat until hot, but not smoking. Reduce heat to medium and place 2 fish fillets in the hot skillet. Fry fish for about 3 minutes on each side or until the fillets are brown and the fish flakes easily. Repeat for the remaining 2 fillets.
- Cut each fish fillet into large chunks.
- To assemble fish taco, place 1/2 of a fish fillet into a warm tortilla. Top with chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese, 1/4 cup shredded cabbage and a spoonful of chile cream.