Five Cheese Mac and Cheese Casserole
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 1 stick plus 1 T. butter
- 1/2 C (2 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 C (2 oz.) shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 C (2 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 C. (2 oz) shredded Monterey Jack
- 2 C. half and half
- 1 C (8 oz.) Velveeta cheese, cut into small cubes
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 tsp. seasoned salt (e.g. Lawry's)
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a deep 2-1/2 qt. casserole.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the oil, then the macaroni, and cook until the macaroni is just tender, about 7 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain well. Return to the cooking pot.
- In a small saucepan, melt the stick of butter. Stir into the macaroni. In a large bowl, mix the first four cheeses. To the macaroni, add the half and half, 1-1/2 C of the shredded cheese, the cubed Velveeta, and the eggs. Season with the seasonings. Transfer to the buttered casserole. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 C. of shredded cheese and dot with the remaining one T. butter.
- Bake until it's bubbling around the edges, about 35-45 minutes. Serve hot.