- 18 ounces refrigerated French bread dough
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or as needed
- 1 medium potato, thinly sliced
- 3 slices smoked bacon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup light cream
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Roll out the bread dough into a rectangle, and spread out on a baking sheet greased with olive oil.
- Set aside.
- Place potato slices in a saucepan with enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, and cook for about 5 minutes. Add bacon slices to the water, and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Drain.
- Remove bacon, then dice.
- While the potatoes and bacon cook, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, and cook, stirring until tender. Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream; season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Spread the onion mixture over the bread dough. Arrange potato slices evenly, and sprinkle with bacon.
- Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until crust is golden on the bottom. Let stand for a few minutes before slicing.
- Makes: 4 servings