Flan - a Spanish dessert
- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 25
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1 -- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2-- 13 oz cans evaporated milk
- 1 tb vanilla
- 6 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Beat the eggs with a hand mixer.
- Add in the condensed milk, evaporated milk, vanilla and ½ cup sugar. Mixture should be smooth.
- Carmelized Sugar
- Over medium heat stir 1 cup of sugar until it is brown and caramel-like.
- This should take approximately five minutes,stirring constantly.
- Then, immediately pour several tablespoons of the caramel into 6 remekins. Coating the bottom and sides with the caramel.
- Pour the custard into the carmelized remekins.
- Fill a baking dish with 1 inch of water and place the six remekins in the baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven.
- It is done when a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- After the remekins have cooled put into the refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, invert each remekin onto a small plate.
The flan recipe, a delicious egg custard, dates back to Roman times. The Romans domesticated chickens and eggs were plentiful. It started out as a savory dish but in Spain, became a sweet Spanish dessert with caramelized sugar. The Spanish brought it to central and South America, where it is very popular. It is often made in a mold or individual ramekins.