Fresh Cherry Coffee Cake
- 1 pound fresh cherries, washed and pitted
- 1 cup blanched almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Coat a 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray, dust with flour.
- Reserve 1/4 cup chopped almonds with 1 teaspoon sugar and transfer remaining almonds to the bowl of a food processor.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt to the nuts and process until finely ground.
- Cream together butter and sugar in the bowl of your mixer.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add extracts and pulse to mix.
- Fold in the dry ingredients, half at a time, just until mixed.
- Transfer batter to the baking pan, top with cherries and then sprinkle reserved nuts and sugar over the top.
- Bake at 375 F for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.