Fresh Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella Pasta
- 1 pound uncooked penne or spiral pasta
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped fine
- 1 cup cherry tomato(es), or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup basil, fresh, chopped
- 1/2 cup Fat Free shredded mozzarella cheese, or you can use smoked mozzarella diced
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- About an hour before your ready to cook your pasta add to a large bowl diced garlic, tomatoes, basil and mozzarella season to taste with salt and pepper Add vinegar, oil, and put in refrigerator to marinate.
- Reserve about a 1/2 cup of pasta water and add to the tomato mixture.
- Cook pasta according to package directions without added salt or fat, drain. Fold in tomato mixture and toss to coat.
- Serve warm or chilled. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
- For an interesting flavor boost, add sun-dried tomatoes to this recipe. Place 1/4 cup of dried sun-dried tomatoes in a bowl and cover them with boiling water; set aside for 10 minutes to allow the tomatoes to plump up. Drain well and substitute them for half the cherry tomatoes in the recipe.