Fresh and Simple Pico de Gallo
- 1 part jalapeno, finely chopped and seeded
- 1 part cilantro, chopped
- 2 parts white onion, chopped
- 4 parts tomato, seeded and chopped
- splash of lime juice (a very small splash)
- pinch of salt
- Stir all ingredients together and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes, stirring once again before serving.
Pico de gallo is one of those dishes that allows every ingredient to share the spotlight. Tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, and cilantro - each having its own distinct flavor and each contributing equally to the freshness of the dish. Serve it as a dip with chips or as a condiment or garnish with quesadillas or grilled chicken. Pico has no real recipe - it’s more like a formula or assembly instructions, one that varies from person to person.