Fried Mozzarella Balls
- Cooking Time: 45
- Servings: 36
- Preparation Time: 25
- * About 5 cups vegetable oil
- * 1 pound drained marinated bocconcini (small mozzarella balls), patted dry
- * 3 large eggs, beaten
- * 1 cup plain fine dry bread crumbs
- * Equipment: a deep-fat thermometer
- * Accompaniment: warm homemade or bottled spicy tomato sauce
- Heat about 11/2 inches oil to 360°F in a 3 1/2-to 4-quart heavy saucepan.
- Meanwhile, double-coat bocconcini by dipping in eggs, then in bread crumbs, and repeating. Transfer to a sheet of wax paper.
- Working in batches of 10, lower balls into oil with a slotted spoon and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 30 seconds per batch. Transfer to paper towels to drain and season with salt. (Return oil to 360°F between batches.)