- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, or as needed for ½ inch depth
- Whole medium-sized fresh sage leaves
- Dash of salt
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan or skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot so that drops of water sizzle when sprinkled into the oil, add the sage leaves. Fry for about 15 seconds, turning occasionally with a slotted spoon or tongs. (Don't let the leaves brown, or they’ll become bitter.)
- Transfer the leaves onto a paper towel-lined plate.
- The leaves will become crisp as they cool. Sprinkle lightly with fine-textured salt.
- The fried sage will keep for up to 2 days in a tightly closed container at room temperature.