Fudgy Pinwheel Cookies
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes/batch
- Servings: 30 servings
- Preparation Time: 25 minutes + chilling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Combine the flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll out dough into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle between two sheets of waxed paper; transfer to a baking sheet. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening. Stir in the walnuts, milk and vanilla. Remove waxed paper from dough; spread with filling. Tightly roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container.