Full Meal Muffins
- Cooking Time: 20-25
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 20
- 1 cup whole spelt flour
- 1 cup barley flour (or use 1 cup white and 1 cup whole wheat flour in place of spelt and barley if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled
- 3 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- ½ cup apple juice, plus more as needed
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 zucchini, finely grated (about 1 ½ cups)
- ½ cup finely chopped or ground walnuts
- ½ cup currants or raisins (optional, they add a touch of sweetness)
- Preheat the oven to 375º.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners and spray with nonstick spray.
- Combine both flours, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda in a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Place the bananas, blackstrap molasses, apple juice, and apple cider vinegar in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together, then fold in the zucchini, walnuts, and currants or raisins. Use a bit more apple juice if needed to wet all the flour.
- Divide mixture evenly into the 12 lined muffin cups, and bake for 20 minutes, or until the top springs back to the touch.
- Remove muffins from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container or freeze in individual freezer bags to pull out and put into lunches as needed.