GINGERED SWEET POTATO-HAM CAUSA RECIMEAL
- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) sweet potatoes in light syrup, drained
- Juice of 1 large orange
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cans (5 ounces each) ham in water, drained
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple tidbits, drained slightly
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 6 tablespoons chopped, unsalted peanuts, divided
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- In a food processor mash the potatoes, adding orange juice and cinnamon. Use the pulse action to get a somewhat smooth consistency. Set aside. In a medium bowl combine ham, green onions, mayonnaise and mustard.
- Spray an 8x4-inch loaf pan with vegetable oil spray. Spread half the sweet potato mixture in the pan, pressing firmly to fill the corners of the pan. Layer ham mixture over potatoes. Top with remaining sweet potato mixture. Cover with plastic wrap; chill for at least one hour until firm. In a medium bowl combine pineapple, red pepper, 1/4 cup peanuts, raisins, mint and ginger.
- To serve, unmold the causa onto a serving plate, or slice and serve six individual portions. Top with the pineapple-red pepper mixture. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons peanuts.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 420; Total fat 15g; Saturated fat 3g; Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 800mg; Carbohydrate 59g; Fiber 7g; Protein 13g; Vitamin A 260%DV*; Vitamin C 90%DV; Calcium 8%DV; Iron 30%DV Per serving, this dish provides from MyPyramid: About 3/4 cup Vegetable Group; 1/2 cup Fruit Group; 2 ounces Meat and Beans Group *Daily Value
Inspired by the traditional layered potato dish of Peru, this chilled sweet potato-ham salad can be prepared ahead – with the colorful topping added just before mealtime. Simply serve with your favorite bread – and your meal’s ready. Prepared with sweet potatoes, it’s a great source of vitamin A, a nutrient with antioxidant power.