- Cooking Time: 60 minutes in oven
- Servings: 9 servings
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups sliced celery
- ½ cup green chopped pepper
- 1 cups chopped or shredded carrot
- 1 cup onion
- 2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 28 oz can of whole tomatoes, chopped and juices saved
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 6-oz can tomato paste
- 2 TBSP fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp hot pepper flakes.
- 1 ½ cups water Divided
- 2 cups of thinly sliced zucchini
- 12 oz package of lasagna noodles (there is whole wheat available) ****
- 48 oz of part skim ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 10-oz boxes of chopped frozen spinach, thawed, and drained
- ¼ tsp of freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp of garlic powder (not salt)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- **** I am now using the no-cook noodles. Just be sure they are covered with sauce.
- For Sauce: Sauté the mushrooms, celery, carrots, green pepper, onion and garlic in the oil for about 10 minutes in a large heavy pot. Add the tomatoes and the juice, the tomato sauce, and tomato paste, seasonings and 1 cup of the water. Simmer, covered for about 1 hour. (I cook it for 40 minutes). If it becomes too thick, then add the extra ½ cup of water. If not, omit the water. Simmer for another 15 minutes. When the sauce is finished simmering, add the zucchini. Sauce can be made ahead.
- For Lasagna: Cook the noodles in boiling salted water. ****See note above.
- While cooking, mix the ricotta, egg and spinach and seasonings for the mixture. Set aside.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and layer ingredients as follows: On the bottom, put 1/3 of the noodles, cover with 1/3 of sauce, ½ of the ricotta-spinach mixture, and 1/3 of the Cheddar. Repeat layers. Top with the remaining noodles and sauce. Sprinkle with remaining Cheddar and all the parm cheese. Put 9 x 13 inch pan on a cookies sheet just in case it bubbles over. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for about 60 minutes until bubbly and slightly browned around the edges.
- Let set for about 20 minute before cutting. Can freeze.
- Feel free to substitute any vegetable that fits your taste. This takes some time, but well worth it.
- Serve with a salad and crusty Italian bread. Wine too. ;-)
I love trying different types of lasagna. I found this one in one of my cookbooks and loved it. Since I am the only one eating it, I will cool it then cut it in portions and vacuum seal each piece. As I want it I will take from the freezer and microwave on a low setting until heated through. A real "keeper". Even if you didn't want to make the lasagna, make the sauce for spaghetti!!!