Gen's Vegetable Love Pizza
- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 2-4
- Preparation Time: 75
- 1 1/2 teaspoons traditional yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2-3 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/4 head of cauliflower, broken into very small florets
- 2-3 kale leaves, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- A few spoonfuls of tomato sauce
- 1/4 block of firm tofu
- A few basil leaves, chopped (optional)
- A few arugula leaves, chopped (optional)
- Mix yeast, water and sugar together in a bowl. Let rest for 15 minutes (to proof the yeast)
- In another bowl, mix salt and flour.
- Add the yeast mixture to the dry ingredients. Knead 10 minutes, or till smooth and elastic, adding flour if necessary to keep from being sticky (if using a stand mixer, knead for 2 min at speed 2, adding flour if necessary, until the dough comes off the hook without sticking).
- Form the dough into a ball. Pour a bit of oil on the dough and rub all over. Cover and let rise till doubled (about 1 hour). Note: A great place to let it rise is to put it in the microwave or oven (as long as you don't turn them on).
- Proceed to making the topping.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the onion and garlic and sautée quickly. Add the carrots and cauliflower and sautée 1-2 minutes. Add the kale and chopped tomato and sautée until the kale is wilted and turns dark green. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- When the dough has doubled in size, punch down. Roll with a rolling pin and place the dough on a lightly oiled pizza pan.
- Drizzle 1-2 tbsp of oil on top of the pizza dough and spread evenly. Add a few spoonfuls of your favourite tomato sauce and spread evenly. Distribute the topping evenly. With your hands, crumble the tofu on top of the pizza. Add salt and pepper to taste and a few chopped basil leaves (optional).
- Cook the pizza for 15 minutes until the crust is slightly golden. As the pizza comes out of the oven, add a few chopped arugula leaves (optional). Enjoy!
A delicious cheese-less pizza! Not your usual pizza but every time we make this pizza for our son at daycare or for our guests, we get great feedback! So here's our secret recipe, that we adapt as the season goes based on which fresh veggies are at hand (zucchinis, eggplants, broccoli, etc.)! Feel free to add a bit of pesto when you assemble the pizza (just after the oil and before the tomato sauce).