Ginger Syrup (to make homemade Ginger Soda)
- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 5
- 1 large piece of fresh ginger root
- 2 cups organic sugar
- 2 cups water
- A fine mesh sieve or cheesecloth
- Step 1: Slice the ginger root into quarter inch (or so) slices. This isn't an exact science...just chop it up, really
- Step 2: Mix the sugar, water and ginger in a pot on the stove and bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir to make sure sugar is completely dissolved and remove from heat. Let sit for 30-60 minutes to steep and cool.
- Step 3: Scoop the large ginger chunks out and discard or set aside for another purpose. Pour syrup through a fine mesh sieve or damp cheesecloth to catch any small bits. Store in a glass jar in the fridge for up to a month (I like to use reclaimed glass salad dressing or salsa bottles)
- To make soda with the syrup:
- Throw some ice in a glass, add about 2.5 Tablespoons of syrup (more of less to taste) and a cup of club soda. Really, it tastes best with a hint of lime, so add a lime wedge or try it with lime essence club soda. I tried the Talking Rain lime club soda with it and it was darn tasty.