- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 30
- Preparation Time: 15min (not including res
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 6 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs, large
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup crystallized ginger (chopped) (optional)
- 1 cup of almonds, toasted then chopped
- white chocolate (optional but very yummy)
- Split ginger in half. Finely chop one half, and coarsely chop the other. Set aside.
- Combine all spices, salt and pepper, and both sugars.
- Beat in butter until fluffy.
- Add in eggs then molasses, until smooth.
- Stir in chopped crystalized ginger and almonds....
- Sift in flour and baking powder
- Beat until just mixed. Dough should be thick and a little sticky
- Divide dough in half and wrap with plastic wrap
- Chill for 2-3 hours
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Shape each portion of dough into a log
- (1/2 inch thick, 2 inches wide and 12 inches long)
- Place on greased pan, 2 inches apart
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, then remove from oven
- Lower oven to 300, cool logs for about 10 minutes
- Slice each loaf into 1/2 inch thick slices
- Places slices back on cookie sheet and put back into the oven
- Bake for another 10 minutes
- let cool. If you want to use the white chocolate, melt it on a double boiler and either dip part of the biscotti in it or drizzle.
Last year when I was making my holiday cookies, I was asked by some friends to make some biscotti. Not wanting to make MORE cookies, I decided to not make one cookie in favor of the biscotti. I make this great molasses spice cookie, so gingerbread sounded really good, but there was not a lot of recipes out there that I could find (that I liked). I took a nice biscotti recipe and added in the seasonings from my molasses spice cookie and played with it and this is what I got. Then I was on here at Bakespace to see if anyone else had any gingerbread biscotti recipes, so that maybe i might see something different that someone liked and play a little more with it, but there were none! so! here is mine!