Gluten Free Flourless Chocolate Nutella Cake
- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 20
- hazelnut paste from Elana's Pantry (recipe on her website)
- 2 cups roasted hazelnuts with skins removed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cacao or cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup agave
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2-4 Tbsp filtered water OR 1 Tbsp hazelnut oil
- cake ingredients:
- 6 large eggs separated
- 125 gm / 4.4 oz organic butter
- 100g / 3.5oz (about 1 cup) hazelnut meal
- 100g / 3.5oz dark chocolate
- 1 Tbsp filtered water
- pinch of Celtic sea salt
- **400g / 14oz of the home-made hazelnut paste
- Preheat your oven to 180 / 350.
- Make the hazelnut paste by grinding the nuts in your food processor and then combining with the other paste ingredients.
- You may need to adjust the quantities of water / hazelnut oil and sweetener.
- In your stand mixer, beat the butter and hazelnut paste together until creamed and well combined. Then add the water, egg yolks, and hazelnut meal. Set this mixture aside in a bowl.
- Wash the stand mixer container for whisking the egg whites.
- Gently melt the chocolate and set aside to cool slightly.
- Fold the chocolate into the mixture. Note that this batter is very very thick. Whisk egg whites and salt in your stand mixer until stiff but not dry. Transfer to a bowl and then slowly add in a little egg white at a time and fold into the mixture. Pour this mixture into a well greased or lined cake tin.
- Cook for 40 mins or until cake starts to come away at the sides.
- This cake is like a rich truffle - a small slither goes a long way! YUMMO!
This was the Recipe #1 in the "Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid" event. This is my gluten free blend of Nigella Lawson's recipe out of her phenomenal cookbook - How To Be A Domestic Goddess. If you don't have a copy of this book - get one! It is ALWAYS my first stop for a delectable dessert recipe. When I got the publishing permission from Hyperion and Ms. Lawson herself, I was tickled to bits! Instead of using a jar of nutella in this recipe, I made homemade chocolate hazelnut spread using the Elana's Pantry recipe. Elana Amsterdam is one of my favourite gluten free bloggers, and this healthier nutella recipe is quick and easy. Thanks Elana! The rest of the recipe is pretty self explanatory. Just make sure you don't over mix or over beat the egg whites, gently gently fold in the egg whites and chocolate into the mixture. I will warn you that this cake is DEADLY ADDICTIVE! It is also VERY RICH! A little goes a long way! But that won't stop you from grabbing for another and another and another bite of what I can only describe as a slice of gluten free chocolate piggy heaven!