Gluten Free Recipe Box’s Vegan Coconut Whipped Cream
- Cooking Time: 0
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 5
- 1 can (15 oz) chilled full fat coconut milk (put the can in the fridge for a few hours)
- 4-6 Tbsp powdered sugar per coconut fat in the can *See note below (Trader Joe’s makes an organic evaporate cane juice version.)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract, or more to taste
- Once the coconut milk is chilled, when you open the can, the fat will have risen to the top and hardened. This is the only portion you will use. Do not mix it with the water below.
- Add this coconut fat/cream to the bowl of your mixer and beat on high for about 4-5 minutes or until it reaches soft peaks. You may need several cans, which you can save the fat from as you use the milk. Just freeze it until you have enough for your specific use.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat again until well blended.
- **The amount of sugar you will need will depend upon how much of the milk you use, as it is difficult to just get the fat from the can. However, you can use a strainer to allow some of the milk to drain off.
- Using a chilled metal bowl also helps in achieving the best results.
- This is best used as a topping on cakes and desserts and not for layering, as it is heavier than conventional dairy whipped cream.
- **Note - the consistency of the coconut cream is on the topping of the cake in this photo. Not the layers.
I got this recipe from Carla Spacher from Gluten Free Recipe Box. This was recipe #22 in the "Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid" event. This recipe is SUPER easy and absolutely delicious! I served this vegan coconut whipped cream with some raw nuts and seeds, chopped bananas, shaved coconut and maple syrup for a decadent parfait. But I couldn't help but wonder as I looked at the photo Carla gave me of that secret yellow cake, "Is she saving that amazing looking cake for a future cookbook?" Let's keep our eyes peeled for THAT! For more information about this recipe, check out Carla's original blog post. Check out Carla's latest gluten free recipes.