Good Old Country Stuffing
- Cooking Time: 1 hr
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 45-60
- * 2 loaves oven-dried white bread (recommended: Pepperidge Farm)
- * 2 cups cooked white rice
- * 1 sleeve crushed saltines
- * 1 pound bulk breakfast sausage
- * 2 cups chopped celery
- * 1 large onion, chopped
- * 7 cups chicken stock
- * Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- * 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- * 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- * 3 eggs, beaten
- * 1/4 stick butter, melted
- * Mushroom Giblet Gravy, recipe follows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Crumble oven-dried bread into a large bowl. Add rice and saltines.
- Cook sausage in a large skillet until it starts to brown. Add celery and onion and saute until transparent, 5 to 10 minutes. Pour over bread and rice mixture. Add stock and mix well. Add salt, pepper, sage, and poultry seasoning. Mix well. Add the beaten eggs and melted butter. Mix well. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the stuffing mixture for the Mushroom Giblet Gravy.
- Pour stuffing into a greased pan and bake until cooked through and golden brown, about 45 minutes.