Grammy's Apple Pie
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 6 cups Granny Smith Apples
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- For the crust: Blend shortening, flour, powdered sugar, butter and salt. Cut flour until it resembles cornmeal. Beat egg, blend in vinegar and water and sprinkle over flour mixture. Toss with fork. Chill before rolling, about an hour. This will make 2-9 inch pie crusts.
- For filling: Peel, core and slice apples. To keep the from browning, coat with lemon juice.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, cornstarch and salt in a large bowl.
- Toss apples in mixture until coated and pour into pie crust.
- Pat with butter, cover with second pie crust and pinch edges. Cut vent holes in top.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 450 degrees then reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool before serving with favorite ice cream or plain.
I absolutely love this pie because all the flavors come together so well. There is no one overpowering ingredient and the apples are not mushy either. Feel free to use your own pie crust recipe or use the Marie Callendar's frozen pie crust with a Pillsbury pie crust topper. I have made with various crust types and each acts to compliment not over power the pie. Picture taken from internet - I can't believe of all the times I have made this I never took a picture. I will replace it next time - promise.