Grandma's Cinnamon Banana Bread
- 1/2 C butter (1 stick)
- 1 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 large, ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp butter, melted
- cinnamon-sugar mixture
- Cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in mashed bananas.
- Sift dry ingredients together; stir into banana mixture.
- Pour into a greased (I use a spray) 9x5x3-inch loaf pan (mini-loaves work, too). Bake at 350 degrees for one hour, or until a toothpick inserted into loaf comes out clean.
- While cake is still warm, pour or brush melted butter over top and sprinkle with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar
This wonderful recipe is from the 1992 edition of the cookbook published by the Junior League of Binghamton (New York). The description in the book says, "When my grandmother baked, all the children in the neighborhood came by for samples of her bread." I can attest to this recipe's appeal, having baked it at least 100 times and brought it to staff meetings, neighborhood meetings, bake sales, and brought it to those who have welcomed a new baby and those who were grieving. It has brought appreciative comments from all.