Grandmothers Southern Green Beans
- 1 lb green beans, washed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 lb or so of some sort of cured pork: bacon, salt pork, ham hocks
- Pepper to taste (lots!)
- To prepare the beans, you want to remove the ends and break (or cut) the beans into about 1" lengths.
- In a large pot, saute your pork for a few minutes to release some of the fat (don't need to fully cook it. It's there just for flavor. You're not gonna eat it)
- Toss in the onions and saute until just tender. Add your beans, and cover with water. Lots of water cuz they're gonna simmer for a while. Sprinkle a good teaspoon of pepper in the pot and bring just to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 - 45 minutes or until the beans are good and cooked. Not crisp tender....but soft! During the cooking time you may need to add another cup or two of water.
- Remove pork and discard....(thanks for coming....you guys were wonderful)
- Season as needed....most likely will not need much if any salt with all that salty, fatty pork.
- Drain and serve