Green Gables Lemon Biscuits
- Servings: 36
- 1/4 cup butter at room temperature (50mL)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (125mL)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind or lemon extract (I use quite a bit more extract to taste)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (250 mL)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda (1mL)
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar (1mL)
- pinch salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 325F (160C)
- 2. In a medium bowl, with a wooden spoon, blend the butter and sugar together until smooth and fluffy. Mix in the egg and grated lemon rind or extract
- 3. In a separate bowl, combine all the flour. baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the butter mixture until you have a smooth, soft dough. (I find the dough to be quite sticky when I am making these)
- 4. Flour your hands and pinch off bits of the dough about 1/2 tsp (2 mL) at a time. Roll each bit into a ball or simply drop onto an ungreased baking sheet, about 2 inches (5cm) apart.
- 5. Using the bottom of a glass tumbler that has been greased and dipped in sugar, press each cookie until it is about 1/4 in (5mm) thick.
- 6. Bake for about 8 minutes, or until the cookies are barely golden underneath. (These cookies are very tender. After the first 5 minutes or so, check them every minute to see that they are not overbrown.) Let the cookies cool on a wire rack.
- Makes about 3 dozen cookies.