Grilled Fish Tacos de Serrano
- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30
- *tacos and slaw
- 1 3/4 lb amberjack or mahi mahi
- 4 fresh red serrano chiles
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 1 12 oz bag shredded cabbage (angel hair)
- 2 limes, juiced and zested
- 1 orange, zested, supremed, sectioned and sliced into small chunks
- 2 tablespoons green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 medium avocado mashed
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons mayonaise
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- cilantro, chopped
- lime wedges
- red onion, sliced
- Mix juice of one lime, chile powder, 2 tablespoons canola oil and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. Coat the fish and refrigerate for 20 minutes while working on the slaw and sauce. The acid in the lime juice will actually start to "cook" the fish and you'll end up with ceviche if you let it marinate too long.
- For the citrus slaw, mix honey, juice of one lime, 2 tablespoons canola oil and the zest of one orange and one lime. Season with salt and pepper then add cabbage, green onion, 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, and sliced orange. Toss well until the cabbage is coated and refrigerate.
- Now to make the Creamy Avocado Cilantro sauce, whisk together mashed avocado, mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, cumin and chopped cilantro.
- Grill fish for 10 minutes per inch of thickness. Put chiles on the grill until the skin blisters and becomes papery. Set them aside to cool. When fish is done turn the grill off and place corn tortillas on the top rack of the grill to warm. Peel any loose or charred skin from the peppers and slice them. Flake fish into chunks with a fork.
- Use two corn tortillas per taco. Add fish, top with some citrus slaw, red onion slices, cilantro and roasted chiles. Finish by drizzling some avocado cilantro sauce on top. Serve with lime wedge on the side.
What do you get when you wrap warm corn tortillas around some spiced up flaky amberjack, add some crunchy citrus slaw and drizzle cool, creamy avocado sauce on top? Fish Tacos de Serrano - ChileBomb style, of course! This recipe is perfect for foodie guests. Set it all up as a taco bar and let guests flake their own fish for their tacos.