Grilled Romaine Recipe
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 hearts of romaine, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan
- Vegetable spray, for pan
- Place vinegar in shallow pan and place in the freezer.
- Allow the vinegar to freeze, approximately 2 hours.
- Once frozen, scrape with a fork to create a shaved ice texture.
- Return the vinegar to the freezer until ready to use.
- Cut each heart of romaine in half lengthwise so that the root keeps each piece together.
- Lightly brush the cut side of the romaine pieces with olive oil.
- Season with the pepper.
- Place the cheese in a shallow pan large enough to lay the romaine in and press the cheese firmly onto the cut side of the romaine until it adheres.
- Spray a nonstick griddle or saute pan with vegetable spray and preheat over medium-high heat. Place the romaine in the pan and cook until the cheese turns golden, approximately 1 to 2 minutes Place the romaine, cheese side up onto plates and sprinkle with the vinegar ice.
- Serve immediately.