Hazelnut Chiffon Cake
- Cooking Time: 60 to 70
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, hazelnuts, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk the egg yolks, water, oil and vanilla; add to dry ingredients.
- Beat until well blended.
- In another large mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold into batter.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan.
- Cut through the batter with a knife to remove air pockets.
- Bake on the lowest rack at 325 degrees F for 60-70 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately invert the cake pan onto a wire rack; cool completely.
- Carefully run a knife around edges and center tube to loosen; remove cake.