Healthy Carrot Muffins
- Servings: 6 large or 12 small
- 3/4 cup all purpose white flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose whole wheat flower
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons superfine sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup plain low or non fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup carrot baby food
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 8 oz canned pineapple chunks in juice drained and whirled in food processor to coarse consistency
- 9 oz carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 3/8 cup almonds, slivered and whirled for just a pulse or two in food processor
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Oil (or use cooking spray) on muffin pan (12 cup small, 6 cup large) or line with muffin paper liners.
- Combine flours, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and superfine sugar in mixing bowl and stir till blended.
- Whisk egg whites with yogurt and oil in separate bowl. Add pineapple chunks, carrots, raisins, and almonds and combine thoroughly but don't over stir. Add into the flour mixture and combine till just mixed together.
- Divide batter between muffin tin cups. Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Coming in at only 131 calories each (for 12 smaller muffins), these carrots are moist and delicious. I am working on the flavors (they spices don't come through as much as I'd like), but think of this as a blank canvas for you to improve on the recipe! I am certain that with the use of more spices, these will be a surefire winner!