Healthy Spaghetti With Ground Turkey
- 1-1 1/4 lbs ground chuck
- 2 15 oz. cans tomato sauce (can use lower sodium sauce if desired)
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1-2 shallots or 1/2 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2-3 bay leaves
- dash of cinnamon
- S & P to taste
- 2 oz. red wine (optional)
- Spaghetti (or your favorite pasta)
- Grated fresh romano or parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1. In a large frying pan, brown the meat, stirring occasionally. When browned, remove grease and season meat with salt and pepper to taste.
- 2. Keep the meat in the pan, if pan is too dry after this step, add a little wine to deglaze the pan and add a little moisture. If you donâ€™t want to add wine and itâ€™s too dry, you could add a little water at this point.
- 3. Add the shallot or onion, for a stronger onion flavor use white onion â€“ for a less strong onion taste use the shallot.
- 4. Saute onion for a couple of minutes, add the garlic and cook for a couple more minutes. Season again with salt and pepper to taste.
- 5. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, basil, oregano and bay leaves. Simmer covered for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6. In a large pot, heat cold water to boiling and add the pasta. Cook until done, according to instructions.
- 7. Serve sauce over pasta, at the table you can have grated cheese to put over your spaghetti if you want, as well as salad and bread. Enjoy!