- Servings: 4
- 1 3-1/2 to 4-pound whole broiler chicken
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning or ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Rinse the inside of chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Skewer neck skin of chicken to back (see photo); tie legs to tail. Twist wing tips under back. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush with melted butter; rub garlic over chicken.
- In a small bowl stir together basil, sage, thyme, salt, and lemon-pepper seasoning; rub onto chicken. If desired, insert a meat thermometer into center of an inside thigh muscle (see photo). (The thermometer should not touch bone.)
- Roast, uncovered, for 75 to 90 minutes or until drumsticks move easily in their sockets and chicken is no longer pink (180 degrees F). Remove chicken from oven. Cover; let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
- 4. Herb-Roasted Chicken and Vegetables: Before roasting chicken, in a large saucepan bring lightly salted water to boiling. Add 1 pound red potatoes, quartered (or halved, if small); 3 carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces; and 1 medium turnip, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces. Add to boiling water. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes; drain. Add drained vegetables and 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch chunks, to the bottom of the roasting pan around chicken. Drizzle vegetables with 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Roast as directed above, stirring vegetables once or twice during roasting. To serve, place chicken on serving platter. Arrange vegetables on serving platter around chicken.