Home Made Tamales
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time: 3 hours
- 2 Pound Pork Butt cooked and shredded (Can substitute chicken or beef)
- Corn husks soaked in hot water
- 1-1/3 cups shortening or lard
- 4 cups Masa
- 4 cups beef broth or water - lukewarm
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Leave as is or add additional spices as desired
- Sprinkle shredded pork with your favorite mexican spices. Cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, chili powder,and nutmeg are my suggestions.
- Soak corn husks in hot water.
- Whip shortening for several minutes on high speed. Add salt and baking powder. Alternate Masa and broth on low speed until all is incorporated.
- Make your tamales and steam for one hour.
- See video below to see how to cook the pork butt and how to construct a tamale. Or deconstruct in some cases...