Homemade Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup of sugar
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Heat sugar on high heat in a heavy-bottomed 2-quart or 3-quart saucepan. As the sugar begins to melt, stir constantly with a whisk.
- As soon as all of the sugar crystals have melted (the liquid sugar should be dark amber in color), immediately add the butter to the pan. Continue to whisk vigorously until the butter has melted.
- Once the butter has melted, take the pan off the heat. Add the cream to the pan and continue to whisk to incorporate. Note than when you add the butter and the cream, the mixture will foam up considerably.
- Whisk until caramel sauce is smooth. Let cool in the pan for a couple minutes, then pour into a glass mason jar and let sit to cool to room temperature. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Warm before serving.