Homemade Cheeseburger Hamburger Helper
- 1 lb. box elbow macaroni
- 1.5 lb. ground beef or chicken
- 1/3 c. minced onion
- 4 tbsp. butter
- ¼ c. flour
- 2 14.75 oz. cans of Campbell’s Cheddar Soup
- 2 c. whole milk
- 2 c. sharp cheddar cheese and more for topping
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil for the noodles. Once the water begins to boil, pour in the box of macaroni and cook until al dente. While the noodles are cooking, begin to cook your meat of choice (I used ground chicken but ground beef would have been better) and onions in a sauté pan on medium high heat. Season with salt and pepper. Once your meat is done, drain excess grease and place back into the pan and remove from heat. Also, once your noodles are finished, drain and place back into pot and remove from heat. You can toss your noodles in some olive oil so the noodles don’t stick together and get dry.
- 2. In a clean large pot, on low to medium heat, melt the butter. Once the butter is melted, slowly add the flour and whisk into the butter at the same time. It will become a thick sauce. Now add paprika, onion powder, and ground cumin. Once the butter and flour has been added and has turned into a thick sauce, slowly pour in the milk while whisking at the same time. The milk will become slightly thick.
- 3. One at a time, add a can of soup and whisk until it dissolves within the milk. Add the next can of soup and whisk until dissolved. Now add the 2 cups of cheese and continue to stir until the cheese has dissolved. Once the cheese has dissolved you are looking at cheese swimming pool in your pot.
- 4. Now add the cooked noodles, meat, and stir until mixed well. Lastly, add the cream cheese and continue to stir until melted into the pasta. Allow to simmer for about 12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve!