Homemade Flour Tortillas
- 3 coffee mugs of Flour (about 4 cups of flour)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 4 tbsp of canola oil (my grandma uses lard but of course this is a little more figure friendly. They taste fabulous with lard though :)
- 1 c. (same coffee mug from before) of Hot Water
- Add 3 c. of flour into a mixing bowl.
- Add salt and baking powder, mix with flour with hands.
- Add oil. Mix with hands.
- Add about 3/4 c. of hot water. Make sure it's Hot not lukewarm but not too hot where it burns you.
- Mix with your hands and knead. Add more water as needed. The masa(dough) should be a teeny bit sticky but more dry. It shouldn't stick to your fingers but it should be sticky. (That's the best I can explain it). If it's too sticky add a bit more flour.
- Heat an ungreased griddle on Medium.
- After it's kneeded take pieces of the dough about the size of a golf ball, maybe a bit bigger. And make the dough into little balls.
- Roll out with a rolling pin: Flatten the ball. Start in the middle and roll up. Middle roll down. Than rotate till it's rolled out thin and round. If it looks like Australia or China instead of a cirlce it's ok... it will still taste good :)
- Place on griddle after rolled out. Flip until golden brown on each side. I have a long flat griddle so I can fit three at a time.
- Place in a tortilla container and/or wrap in a clean kitchen towel. They will stay warm that way.