Honey Oatmeal Bread
- Cooking Time: 30-40
- Servings: 2 loaves
- Preparation Time: 150
- 1 ½ cup water
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup margarine or butter
- 5-6 cups bread flour
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 pkg yeast (I use instant, but active dry will work)
- 2 eggs
- Combine water, honey and butter in a small saucepan, heat over low heat until liquids are 130 degrees (very warm).
- I use a Kitchen aide stand mixer, but this can be mixed and kneaded by hand.
- Place 4 cups of flour, the oats, salt and yeast in bowl and mix. Add the warm liquids to the flour mixture and mix. Add the eggs. Mix together for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 more cup of flour, mix for 2 minutes and allow to rest, covered for 10 minutes.
- Knead, adding more flour if needed, for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place in greased bowl, turn to coat with oil, cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot to rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and divide in half. Shape dough into two loaves, and place in greased large loaf pans. Allow to rise until almost doubled, 45 min to 1 hour.
- Slash tops of loaves lengthwise ¼ inch deep with sharp knife. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 200 degrees. Check bread after 15 minutes of baking as it browns quickly, tent with foil if needed.
- Remove from pans and cool.