- 1 lb. dried black eyed peas
- 1/2 lb. salt pork, cubed
- 1/2 lb. cooked ham, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ham bone
- 1/4 tsp. (more to taste) crushed red pepper
- pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Rinse peas and pick over, removing any small stones or foreign particles. Cover with cold water in a large pot, bring to a boil for
- a minute, remove from heat cover and let sit for one hour.
- In a large skillet, saute the salt pork to render fat, add onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add the onion
- mixture along with the ham bone and seasonings to the pot with the peas. Add enough water to cover the ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 1- 1 1/2 hours or until black eyed peas are tender but not mushy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.