Hot Fruit Compote
- Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- Servings: 8-10
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- 1 (8oz) package assorted dried fruit, cut up*
- 1-1 1/2 cups white or zinfandel wine
- 1 (20 oz) can chunk pineapple
- 1 (20 oz) can cherry pie filling
- *I like to add 5 or 6 additional prunes since there never enough in the bag.
- Place cut up dried fruit in a 2 QT casserole dish.
- Pour enough wine over the fruit to just cover it. Refrigerate the fruit for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour the can of pineapple (with juice) over the fruit.
- Spread the cherry pie filling over the pineapple.
- Cover and bake for 45-60 minutes.
Every holiday meal, as far back as I can remember, has included this hot fruit compote. It is as important to the meal as the jellied cranberry goo from a can. Any leftovers can be re-heated or served cold. I tried for a family picture to go with this recipe, but noone could stop chewing long enough for me to snap the picture....the actual fruit compote was much more cooperative!