House - Made Oatmeal Buttermilk Bikkies
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats (not instant)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp shortening
- 2 tbsp cold butter
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, well shaken
- 1/3 cup dark raisins
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter and shortening until a coarse-meal texture forms.
- Pour in buttermilk and mix just until blended, mix in raisins. Do not overwork the dough!
- Pat out on a floured board, cut with a cookie cutter or rim of a glass and place on ungreased sheets.
- Bake 12 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking time.
- Remove immediately to wire rack.
These are a delicious home version of my bakery's buttermilk biscuits. Rich, sweet and buttery, flaky and perfectly spiced with a hint of cinnamon, the dough works perfectly with dark Thompson raisins and (if you like) even pecans. Best warm out of the oven but can be frozen and microwaved for a quick nibble.