Hunt's Rice Pudding
- Cooking Time: 55 minutes
- Servings: 1-10
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- •6 cups milk
- •¾ cup long rice pudding
- •1 cup heavy cream
- •¾ cup sugar
- •3 egg yolks beaten
- •2 teaspoons vanilla
- •¼ teaspoon salt
- •Optional: last 15 minutes of cooking you can add raisins. I pre soak them in water or sometimes rum and drain the liquid before adding.
- •1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1.Rinse pan with cold water and do not dry.
- 2.Pour milk in and bring to a boil.
- 3.Stir in rice and return to a boil.
- 4.Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered until rice is tender for about 55 minutes.
- 5.Stir occasionally.
- 6.Meanwhile combine cream sugar, egg yolks, vanilla, and salt and set aside.
- 7.When the rice is tender, stir in cream mixture until completely combined: heat to a boil. (I usually add some hot liquid to the cream mixture first to temper it, then add it to the pot)
- 8.Remove from heat and pour into a 2 quart dish.
- 9.Sprinkle top generously with cinnamon.
- 10.Chill at least 4 hours.
- 11.Optional: Top it off with homemade whip cream. ONLY homemade whip cream.
- 12.This makes 6 cups.
- 13.I usually double this. Believe me it goes.
- 14.This is the best rice pudding. I was never a fan until I started eating this.
Rice pudding… Believe it or not I was never a fan of it, until I made this. Addicted I have tried so many others but this is the one I come back to. I was PTA president for my Children’s school and we worked extremely hard publishing a book of family recipes that were handed down. I specifically sent a letter home telling them no toll house cookie type recipes will be accepted and to even include other family members that had very special recipes. And we had amazing generational recipes. This was included. Even though it was not an old generational one it was one they loved as a family and again not toll house but an amazing rice pudding. Thanks Hunt family where ever you now! I think of you Bev where ever you are hope you are well. Bev was on the board with me and she was so sweet just like her rice pudding!