IRISH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM
- Servings: 12
- 4 beaten egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee crystals
- 1/4 cup Irish whiskey or bourbon whiskey
- 2 cups whipping cream
- In a heavy medium saucepan combine the egg yolks, sugar, milk, half-and-half or light cream, chocolate, and coffee crystals.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture is slightly thickened and bubbly; remove from heat.
- Beat mixture with a rotary beater until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Cool thoroughly by placing bowl in a sink or large bowl of ice water; stir occasionally.
- Stir in whiskey.
- In a large mixing bowl beat whipping cream with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- Fold in cooled chocolate mixture.
- Pour into an 8x8x2-inch baking pan.
- Cover and freeze at least 8 hours or overnight until firm.
- Let stand at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.