Idiot Proof Pie Crust
- 2/12 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter chilled
- 1/3 cup shortening at room temp.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Combine water and lemon juice and place in freezer for a few minutes.
- In a food processor put flour, salt, sugar and baking powder and pulse a couple of times to combine ingredients.
- Cut the shortening into pieces and add to the dry ingredients.
- Turn food processor on high and run until there are no more visible lumps of margarine.
- Cut the butter into ½ “ squares then add to food processor.
- Pulse until the butter is turned into pea sized chunks.
- Pour the dough into a bowl and slowly add the water/lemon a tablespoon at a time.
- Alternately the water can be put into a spray bottle and sprayed to coat the dough.
- Gently toss the dough as you add the water.
- Once the dough is able to hold together, form two balls and let rest in the fridge for a half an hour.
- The final result is a crust that is short and tender with nice layers created by the butter
Let me begin by saying that I generally suck when I try to make a pie crust. I haven’t tried to make a pie for the last 10 years because I am just not happy with the method of preparation or the finished results. I could never get my dough to hold together properly. It was either to crumbly or to the other extreme, mushy and sticky. I combined the technique I saw on Good Eats with a traditional recipe. To show what an idiot I am,I just realized that I can't apparently read my own writing. Ergo I put 3/4 cup of butter and shortening when the correct amount is 1/3 cup of each. So sorry for the inconvenience.