Italian Ceviche (low fat, 2pts)
- 1lb bag of pre-cooked, deveined and tail off shrimp
- 1 can Red Gold tomatoes with garlic and onion
- 1 can plain tomatoe sauce
- 2tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium zucchini chopped
- 2-3 large button mushrooms, sliced and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper (or green)
- 1/4C white cooking wine
- fresh basil to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: grated parmesan cheese
- 1 bag of baked Tostitos
- Thaw shrimp in fridge or under running water. Drain.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat, add in garlic and saute a few minutes, until fragrant. Add in shrimp and white wine, cook until wine is reduced by about half.
- Remove from pan and set aside to cool.
- Wipe skillet and spray with cooking spray, saute onions, pepper and zuchhini.
- When almost done add canned tomatoes and tomato sauce cook stirring occasionally until thickened slightly.
- Add in shrimp and juices, cook until thickened. Stir in fresh chopped basil right before you turn the heat off.
- Cool and refridgerate until ready to use.
- Serve with tortilla or pita chips.
- Depending on the size of your shrimp and chopped vegetables you may want to throw the mixture into a blender once it has cooled.
- Just process it for a few seconds.
- This just makes it easier to dip!
- If you're not counting calories (or points, WW 2pts. plus 2 for baked chips) add in the parmesan once the mixture has cooled.
This was a fantastic accidental recipe! I made the suace with all of the veggies and shrimp and served it with pasta one night. There wasn't enough left over for another full serving so I took the sauce with the chunky veggies and shrimp and tossed them in my magic bullet blender and made a great ceviche/salsa. It goes great with tortilla chips. Other chips would work great too.