Italian Chicken Pasta Salad
- Servings: 6-8
- 1 cup pine nuts (pignoli) *
- 1 lb. penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, cooked and diced/chopped
- 1/2-3/4 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped *
- 1/2-3/4 cup roasted red peppers, chopped *
- 1/2-3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 bottle of balsamic vinagrette salad dressing
- salt & pepper
- Some chopped fresh basil is also nice to add, but not essential
- (* can add more or less, according to taste)
- Toast pine nuts in dry pan over low heat, stirring very frequently, until light golden (about 5 minutes).
- Toss pasta with chicken, tomatoes, roasted red peppers, and parmesan.
- Dress with balsamic vinaigrette according to taste.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Chill in refrigerator for about an hour.
- Toss with pine nuts just before serving.
Notes: This is also very good as a hot pasta dish instead of a salad. Just omit the balsamic vinaigrette, and toss the hot pasta with a little bit of butter and olive oil, just to coat the ingredients. (All amounts are approximate, just add or subtract according to your own taste) (This is also good with shrimp instead of chicken) (You can find sundried tomatoes and roasted red peppers in jars, usually by canned vegetable section or Italian food section in supermarket. Sundried tomatoes are also sometimes available dried in bags. Just soak these in boiling water for about 10 min.)