Jacqueline's Cream Puffs with Triple Sec Pastry Cream
- Cooking Time: 25-35
- Servings: 12 Cream Puffs
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- For Cream Puff (Choux paste )
- 1 cup water (you boil)
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 box of French Vanilla Instant Pudding
- 1 tub of Cool Whip
- Any flavoring=1 tsp of vanilla, Triple Sec (orange liqueur)
- 1. Following directions for pudding but only put half of the milk, and fold in the Cool Whip, gently blend together and spoon into the shells. You can also top it with Strawberries instead of the little top, (don’t forget to add your Triple Sec orange flavor liqueur)
- Semisweet Chocolate Glaze (Ganache)
- 2 squares semisweet chocolate
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup of confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
- 3 Tablespoons of milk
- In 1 qt saucepan over low heat, melt 2 squares semisweet chocolate and 2 Tablespoons butter, stirring constantly on a double boiler. Stir in 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar) and 3 Tablespoons of milk until smooth. Drizzle or dip the tops of cream puffs with the glaze. Makes 1 cup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. (bake cream puffs for 15 minutes) then 350 degrees for reminder of baking time, )
- 1. Grease 2 large cookie sheets. Prepare the Choux paste (cream puffs): In 2 qt saucepan over medium heat, heat the butter, water and salt until butter mixture boils. Remove from heat.
- 2.Add flour all at once. With a wooden spoon. Vigorously stir until mixture forms a ball and leaves side of pan and remove from heat.
- 3.Put flour mixture into your KitchenAid or just keep flour mixture in the 2 quart saucepan. Add eggs to flour mixture, one at a time, beating well after each addition, until smooth (you can do this part in a mixer like a KitchenAid mixer or electric one), Cool mixture slightly.
- 4. Using two large tablespoons or a ice cream scoop drop batter onto cookie sheets in 12 large mounds, 3 inches apart, swirling top of each. Bake 15 minutes at 400 degrees then reduce temperature to 350 degrees for reminder 20 to 35 minutes or till golden brown and sound hollow inside.
- 5. Remove from oven and turn it off, cut slit in side of each puff shell. Return to oven, with oven door ajar, put cream puff shells back inside for 10 to 15 minutes, so the inside of shells can dry and there may be some moist dough inside you can remove it with a fork . Cool.
- 6. Prepare filling, cover and chill. This can be done while cream puffs are baking.
- 7. When puffs are cool, slice top of each. Fill each shell with chilled Vanilla Pastry Cream, replace top. Sprinkle tops with powdered sugar or drizzle chocolate ganache.
I've always loved baking, so back in 1981 (not really planned) I married a Chef. He did the gourmet cooking and I baked. My favorite dessert to bake are Cream Puffs, but, I couldn't succeed with the Pastry Cream so I modified it with French Vanilla Instant Pudding and Cool Whip and combining the two together to make my version of Pastry Cream...and added some Triple Sec orange liqueur to the mixture. And Viola...delicious Cream Puffs without the complications of trying to make pastry cream...and friends and family are thrilled and delighted whenever I make them.