Jennie's Strawberry Jam
- Cooking Time: 8 minutes
- Servings: 3 cups
- Preparation Time: 8 to 10 minutes
- 2 quarts of strawberries, about 4 cups, washed and hulled
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons calcium water (included with pectin package - follow directions for making water)
- 2 teaspoons Pomona's Universal Pectin (see Note)
- In a large glass bowl, microwave-safe bowl, mash berries to desired consistency depending on if you like a smooth or thick and chunky jam. A potato masher does the job perfectly. Stir in the calcium water. Cook on HIGH in microwave until berries are almost boiling, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the sugar and pectin. Stir the sugar-pectin mixture into the boiling berries mixture. There may be a few white clumps, and that's okay. Cook on high for 3 more minutes, until thick and bubbly. Transfer to a container, let cool and refrigerate for up to three weeks, or process in a hot water bath using sterilized canning jars.
- Note: My microwave is 1000 watts, so keep in mind that cooking times will vary for models with lower or higher power. Pomona’s Universal Pectin can be found in healthfood markets and larger grocery stores like Whole Foods.