Jennifer Cafferty & GFree Life’s Gluten Free Apple Spiced Loaf Cake
- Cooking Time: 70
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15
- dry ingredients:
- 2 cups Bob's Red Mill GF Flour Blend
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 2 tsp apple pie spice (pumpkin pie spice can be substituted)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp xanthan
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- wet ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups water or unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup canola or grape seed oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- add ins:
- 2 cups peeled Red Delicious apples, diced into 1/4" pieces
- Preheat oven to 180 / 350.
- Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with spray oil.
- Put all dry ingredients in a bowl and combine using a fork or a whisk.
- Put all wet ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on a low speed until combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and allow the mixer to incorporate the ingredients. Once combined, turn speed to medium and mix for an additional minute.
- Remove bowl from mixer and pour 1/3 of the batter into the loaf pan.
- Sprinkle half of the diced apple pieces over the batter. Pour the second third of the batter over the apple pieces. Sprinkle the remaining apple pieces over the batter and cover with the remaining batter.
- Bake for approximately 80 minutes.
- Depending on the apples you use and the humidity, you should start checking to see if this cake is done around 70 minutes. Generally, my loaves have to bake for closer to 80 minutes.
- To check to see if the cake is done, insert a wooden skewer into the cake to see if it is fully cooked. When the cake is done, the skewer will come out clean without batter stuck to it. It is possible that you will have some apple on the skewer. The batter is dark brown and the apples will look more like applesauce.
- Loosen the edges of the cake with a knife and remove from the pan.
- Allow to fully cool on a cooling rack before slicing. YUMMO!
I got this recipe from Jennifer Cafferty from GFree Life and founder of The Gluten and Allergy Free Expo and the Nourished Gluten Free Food Bloggers Conference. This was Recipe #32 in the "Gluten Free Baking with KitchenAid" event. This gluten free apple spiced loaf is really a sweet cake baked in a loaf pan! Pure apple deliciousness! This apple cake is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, nut-free, and is amazingly moist! For more information about this recipe, check out Jen's original recipe post. Learn more about Jennifer Cafferty at GFree Life, The Gluten and Allergy Free Expo, and Nourished FBC.