Jicama Slaw with Roasted Poblano Dressing
- Cooking Time: 3
- Servings: 4-5
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 large poblano pepper
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of two limes (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 jicama, peeled and sliced into 2-3″ matchsticks
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 small or medium carrots, cut into matchsticks or ribbons
- cilantro, to taste (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Over a gas burner or in your broiler, roast the poblano until charred on all sides. Place in a nonreactive bowl or paper bag (cover with plastic wrap if using the bowl) and let cool. Peel the poblano, and then chop coarsely.
- In a small food processor bowl, combine the poblano, garlic, lime juice, cumin, oregano and salt and pepper. (Note: you can use the cilantro in the dressing, if desired, or just toss with the salad instead.) Pulse until combined and then slowly stream in canola oil to emulsify. Season to taste if necessary.
- In a large bowl, mix together the jicama, cabbage, carrots (and cilantro, if desired). Toss with the dressing.