Joy's Fried Chicken
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 quart of low fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon of kosher salt
- 2 teaspoonsof cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 2 cups of flour
- Vegetable oil or vegetable shortening for frying
- Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl and pour the buttermilk over them.
- Make sure they are all coated.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- Pour the oil into a large heavy bottomed deep skillet or stockpot to a depth of 1-inch and heat to 360 degrees on a thermometer.
- Working in batches, carefully place several pieces of chicken in the oil and fry for about 3 or 4 minutes on each side until the coating is a golden brown.
- Don’t crowd the pieces.
- Remove the chicken from the oil and place on a metal baking rack that is on top of a cookie sheet that has sides. (I cover the cookie sheet with foil)
- Always allow the oil to return to the 360 degrees before frying more chicken.
- When all chicken is fried, bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Serve hot.